Saturday, May 17, 2008

In the Still of the Night

It's 11:00 pm and the whole house is quiet and still. Today was a busy and fun day with lots of BBQ, cooking and visiting with friends. I'm tired in that satisfied kind of way, but I don't want to go to bed. I'm clinging to today by my fingertips to keep tomorrow from coming. If I go to bed I will wake up tomorrow morning with a test to draft, copies to make and a house to clean. If only I could make time slow a bit more so there is nothing waiting to be done when I open my eyes next...

Random bits:

1. Love listening to music on Pandora. If you haven't heard of it, I dare you to try it.

2. I made a Coconut Lime Cake today from The Cook's Kitchen Bible. It was wonderful and much easier than I thought it would be. The guys loved it and thought it was a nice balance to all the spice of the BBQ.

3. I had to rip back the entire gusset of the Baudelaire sock because I increased on the wrong side of the instep. This will be my first pair of toe-up socks and they're killing me. This yarn and I are having an (off-kilter) love affair that seems to be made to end badly (like those late night cravings for curry) so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that the pattern is kicking me, too.

4. I picked out the paint for Emma's big girl room and I have one month and counting to paint the walls, do a tree and a couple of faeries. Stay tuned, pictures will be forthcoming.

5. I miss my father. I miss the way he always hugged me too hard, like I was never too fragile, just too valuable to not be hugged tightly. I miss cooking with him. I miss his advice which was never sharp, given sparingly and well worth every minute. Now that I am a parent I am gaining a greater appreciation of my father in so many ways and I miss his presence dearly.

Good night, my dears.

No comments: