Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Seven Year Quilt


It's done! It's finally done! Hot off the sewing machine I bring you :::drumroll please::: The Seven Year Quilt. No, that's not the pattern name, that's how long it took me to make this quilt. Everything has a story and it's about time this quilt had it's story told.

Over Christmas break in my freshman year of college (99' - 00') I worked at a guest ranch where another girl on the staff was making a puff-pillow quilt in her spare time. I thought it was lovely and since I was missing one of my best friends from high school I though I would make Sally one. Looked easy enough to make. Ha ha.

That January I took myself down to the fabric store and bought lots of fabric to make Sally a quilt. Now I know I really should have asked that girl how she was making this quilt before I dove in head first. *sigh* I botched it up and it was not to be. Over the next 3 years I attempted to will this quilt into being anytime I could steal a sewing machine long enough to work on it. Still, no dice. In 2003 I finally tore the little pillows apart and gave away what I couldn't tear up. In 2005 I was gifted a lovely old Pfaff by my mother-in-law so there was a light at the end of the tunnel. In 2006 I began a new concept and re-made the quilt top. Here I stalled in the fall because I had no idea how to go forward from there and I was terrified of messing it up. This week, with our impending trip to see Sally in Alaska, I bucked up and tied the quilt and just sewed the edges. The saga ends now.

It's a bit of a let-down to have this project over and a relief to see it put together and looking charming. I know it's nothing special to ya'll but this quilt holds some of my soul (and plenty of my pet's hair). Sally is eagerly anticipating it's arrival and I can't say I blame her. At least I know she'll love it and I can tell you, Sally must be the most patient friend there is. :)

No comments: